When my family came to visit from America, we made sure to travel to Sydney, go around Adelaide, and for our last stop: Melbourne. Because we had kids with us, this is a family-friendly Melbourne itinerary which includes Peninsula Hot Springs, Enchanted Adventure Garden, and the 12 Apostles at the Great Ocean Road. We also traveled during winter last year but this itinerary can be easily done during all 4 seasons.
Day 1-2: THE CITY - Melbourne CBD
|Clockwise: Yarra River, Melbourne CBD, Hosier Lane, Flinders Train Station|
- Yarra River - We skipped the boat tour because really, you can experience the city views so much better by walking.
- Flinders Train Station - for that iconic Instagram photo!
- Hosier Lane - because a blogger has got to pose in the middle of a street filled with graffiti
- Hillsong Church - there's a branch in the city so yey! God is a priority and just because you're traveling, doesn't mean you skip church.
- DFO - shopping at an outlet mall was actually quite disappointing and didn't meet my expectations
- Eureka Tower - If I could skip a part of this trip, it would be this. It was expensive and yes, the view was amazing but it was crowded and if you've been to other tall buildings or seen the city lights from the top of a mountain, this one's just not worth the price.
- State Library of Victoria - a huge library that I purposely visited for that Instagram-famous view. Unfortunately, the viewing area closes around 4pm and we missed it. Aside from tons of books and study area, I was amused by the area where there were intense chess competitions.
Day 3: THE BEACHES
Day 4: Hot Springs, Enchanted Garden, Night Market
Day 5: Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road is a whole different road trip altogether. Most people devote 1-2 days for this road trip. Personally, we only wanted a glimpse of the views. By this time, we were already tired from our Sydney-Adelaide-Melbourne trip and decided to only see a few main stops so we could grab dinner at the mall and head to bed early to rest up for the next day's flight. So we only went to three beautiful (and free!) stops on the Great Ocean Road: London Bridge, Loch Ard Gorge, and the 12 Apostles.
My favorite part of this 5-day Melbourne family trip has to be the day that we spent going to the hot springs and the enchanted garden. Ironically, that day was not part of my original itinerary planned. Spontaneity can be a beautiful adventure.
We plan to visit Melbourne again sometime. Where else would you suggest we visit that we haven't yet been to?